As I mentioned in my last post, Phen and I had a heart to heart about finances several weeks ago. Since he has much better self-control than I do about saving, we switched the bills around so I would be left with the same amount every pay period, and he took on the inconsistent ones (like gas and groceries) so he could siphon any leftover money into our savings account. We have several trips coming up, as well as just wanting to build our savings in general, so I was actually quite happy to give him control over our finances. Besides, now that I have taken over the motorcycle payment, I feel like I can use that as leverage if needed ;)
When you start talking specifically about money, it gets really personal. When I ran the number of my “allowance” to a few close friends and family, there were equal parts, “That’s it? and, “That’s a lot.” For Phen and I, who are a modest dual-income, childless couple living in an inexpensive neighborhood, it is the amount that works for us and our current lifestyle. That amount is $250 a month to cover Starbucks, eating out, entertainment, a pedicure with my gal pal, and yes, clothes. It’s going to be an interesting adjustment making the call between forgoing Starbucks for two weeks or buying a new pair of shoes, but I’ll have to figure it out.
Budget aside, I was able to buy some things with Christmas and birthday money (which I’m still hanging onto some of it for a rainy day). Here are the highlights:
Do you think there’s a color theme maybe?
1. Favorite purchase: The Limited (with discount and coupons got it down from $98 to $44.52). It was love at first sight. I stalked this maxi dress as soon as I saw it in the “coming soon” section. I can easily tack up the bottom to make it a knee-length dress for the office if I’m so inclined, but I love the material, color, pattern and fit of this dress. It was in The Limited’s resort collection, and I can totally envision myself wearing a straw hat and sipping something fruity in this. The bonus is that it is Phen’s official favorite item in my closet
2. Worst deal: The Limited (dress listed for $89.95, with a coupon I got it for $54.14). It was an online exclusive dress, but when I went in the store, they had one hanging there that had been a return, and it was my size. I tried it on, loved it, fished out my coupon, and thought I’d get a great deal. When the cashier gave me the total, my jaw dropped. $54 for a knit dress? Ugh. But, it was one of those things where my coupon was going to expire soon and I didn’t like anything else in the store as much as that dress, and it was my birthday, so I went for it.
3. Needs tweaking: GAP (with discount and coupons got it down from $69.95 to $34). I tried on the size 2 in store and it was too big, but I loved it enough to take a gamble and order it online in a 0. The waist is still too big, so I will have to alter it (I am only throwing out the size as a reference point to anyone interested in the dress, as it’s still available. I wear dresses anywhere from a 0 to an 8, depending on style and brand). I love the super heavy cotton material, long sleeves, flared skirt with box pleating detail, and hello, white and navy stripes.
4. Good deal: Banana Republic (marked down from $50 to $6.75) We were in Branson at my favorite outlet mall that I used to work in as a college student. I bet my mom and Phen who were with me that I’d be able to nab a top in there for 5 or 6 bucks. They always have the best clearance sales. I found this little number and another for $5.
5. Best deal: GAP (marked down from $40 to $4.45). I scored in the GAP clearance section. I got this top and another sweater for $5, as well as a fabulous red dress for $10.
Overall, I’m pleased that I chose quality items for this brand new year, and for the most part got excellent deals on them. I’m not really interested in seeing how many things I can get for the money (not that that’s not a fun goal). Due to my current clothing overload, I just want to stay mindful of not adding unnecessarily to my wardrobe. That being said, I’m always a sucker for a pretty dress. ;)